Turn your lights down low
Lighting is essential in today’s world. It keeps us safe and ensures our kids do their homework.
But like other electrical appliances it comes at a cost. It is a known fact that lights in your home represent up to 9 % of your energy use and up to 25% in your office.
Replacing the lights in your home or office with energy efficient globes like Compact Fluorescent Lamps (CFL) and turning off your lights when not in use can save you 80% off your lighting energy bill or as much as 7% of your total energy bill.
The most common types of lights used in homes and offices today are:
Incandescent Bulbs: cheap to buy, generate lot of heat, inefficient and high energy consumption.
Fluorescent Lights: More commonly known as the 'tube lights'. These are longer lasting than incandescent and consume less electricity.
Compact Fluorescent Lighting (CFL): commonly known as 'energy savers'. These consume much less power compared to both fluorescent and incandescent lights, and they last up to 6 times longer than incandescent bulbs.
Reduce Energy Costs
- Turn off your lights if not in use. If you are out of the room for more than 15 minutes it saves to turn them off.
- Paint your house interior with lighter colours to reduce need for lights during the day
- Keep windows clean - dirty windows let in less light
- Open curtains and blinds before turning on lights - you may not need more light
- Install a skylight in rooms that need more light like bathrooms and kitchens
- Install dimmer switches to use only the light you need