LNG line relocation completed


PNG Power recently completed power line relocation at the LNG site at Lealea, outside Port Moresby.

The line, stretching five kilometres across the LNG housing estate, was rerouted around the site along the new highway and completed at the end of July.

According to Centre Manager Port Moresby Giles Soso, LNG developer Exxon Mobil paid a private firm in December 2009 to survey the relocation route and submit their drawings for relocation to begin.

“When they did (submit the drawings), our guys saw that the power pole position pegging was not done properly,” Mr Soso said.

He said upon this, PPL went in and had talks with Exxon Mobil.

“They wanted to relocate the lines running through their site as quickly as possible so they engaged us in mid June and gave us till July 31 to complete the project,” Mr Soso said.

But it wasn’t that simple.

“They have very strict safety and environmental guidelines and policies, and we had to adhere to these before we could carry out any work there,” Mr Soso pointed out.

He said before his project team could go in, they had to all go through a safety induction course.

“After the induction, we were all required to wear gloves, glasses, hard hats, overalls, vests, steel capped boots,

and gators at all times we were there.”

He explained that gators were specially designed leg covering that was strapped from the heel to the knee, to protect the workmen from snake bites as was common in that area.

“And we had to submit a Job Safety Analysis (JSA) daily for all our activities, explaining what procedures we were going to do and what equipment to use. Like if one of the boys wanted to cut down a tree, he had to wear a face protection visor and ear muffs.”

A safety officer from LNG was present all the time to monitor Mr Soso’s team, and it was something different for him.

“It was very professional, and the safety officer was making sure we were complying with their policies and ensuring we submitted the JSAs daily.”

He said the safety standards were really high, something PPL has not quite gotten there yet.

“We complied with all their safety requirements and I’m proud to say we achieved 100 percent JSA throughout the project. And I don’t see why we can’t bring these safety standards into our company.”

Mr Soso also mentioned that the project took a shorter time due to use of machines like angers attached to tractors or backhoes and crane trucks.

“The work method deployed was more machinery and less human labour, hence we completed the project in a month only, which was impressive as it would have taken three months had we laboured without the machines.”

Mr Soso thanked the project team, headed by Paul Sive and Luke Malemba, for an outstanding job on the relocation of lines.

“I must emphasise that we need to equip ourselves better, and our culture of doing things should change. We can have the same high standards as any other company so we really need to improve our safety standards and work methods,” he said.